The safe, easy to use cleaner for all waterproof leather clothing, equipment and accessories.
WHY YOU SHOULD USE IT:
Leather clothing, equipment and accessories will absorb water and ‘wet out’ when used in damp or wet conditions if their Durable Water Repellency (DWR) has been compromised.
- When leather absorbs water, tanning agents and lubricants are lost, which causes the leather to become dry, stiff and prone to splitting. Over time this will cause the structure of leather to degrade.
- Additionally, when leather is wet its breathability is reduced. This causes leather clothing to become sweaty and wet inside from condensation.
- Therefore, the DWR of your leather gear must be maintained to ensure comfort and performance. Through use, the outer surface of leather gear will pick up contaminants such as dirt, which attract water, masking the effect of any DWR coating.
Nikwax Leather Cleaner™ will remove contaminants and revitalize DWR, enabling your leather gear to perform better and for longer.
- Leather is hardwearing and breathable, making it an ideal material for use in the production of protective clothing, equipment and accessories.
- During leather production, tanning agents are added to maintain the structure of leather and prevent microbial growth. If leather absorbs water, tanning agents will be lost. Over time this will compromise the structure of leather. Additionally, if leather becomes wet its breathability will be reduced. This is especially important for users of leather clothing, as reduced breathability can lead to condensation forming inside clothing, reducing the comfort of the wearer.
To prevent water absorption, Durable Water Repellency (DWR) is applied to leather gear.
Nikwax Leather Cleaner™ allows you to clean leather gear without damaging DWR. Additionally, cleaning with Nikwax Leather Cleaner™ will revitalize existing DWR, preventing water absorption and maintaining breathability.
WHEN YOU SHOULD USE IT:
- Your waterproof leather gear could be soaking up water just because it is dirty. Through use, the outer surface of leather gear will pick up contaminants, such as dirt, which attract water. This masks the effect of any Durable Water Repellent (DWR) coating, leading to the leather absorbing water and “wetting out” in wet or damp conditions.
Cleaning waterproof leather gear with Nikwax Leather Cleaner™ will not only remove contaminants, such as dirt, but also revitalize DWR, causing water to bead on the outer surface once more.
- Regular cleaning will enhance the performance of your leather gear by removing water-attracting (hydrophilic) dirt and other contaminants picked up when out and about. When Nikwax Leather Cleaner™ alone does not revitalize the DWR of your leather gear it’s time to re-waterproof using Nikwax Leather Restorer™.
HOW YOU SHOULD USE IT:
- Nikwax Leather Cleaner™ is a highly effective cleaner which has been specifically designed and optimized for breathable leather gear. It is a safe product to use on breathable waterproof leather gear as it does not leave water-attracting (hydrophilic) residues, which lead to leather absorbing water and ‘wetting-out’.
- Nikwax Leather Cleaner™ removes water absorbent dirt and stains picked up during use; this revitalizes Durable Water Repellency (DWR) and causes water to bead on the outer surface once more.
- Regular cleaning with Nikwax Leather Cleaner™ will revitalize existing DWR and revive breath-ability, keeping your leather gear in top condition.
Shake well before use. Follow care label instructions. Use gloves.
- Wipe surface with damp cloth or rinse under running water to remove surface dirt. Use soft nylon brush if necessary.
- Lay wet item flat on suitable surface.
- Hold bottle 15 cm/6 inches away from item.
- Apply evenly to outside of item. Rub in well, paying attention to particularly dirty areas using a soft brush to remove soiled marks.
- Wipe surface with clean damp cloth.
Note: For light/Colored leathers and soft nubuck/suede, test on a hidden area first.
To clean leather footwear use Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel™. To waterproof leather items treat with Nikwax Leather Restorer™ and for footwear use Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather™ or Conditioner for Leather™.
- Leave leather clothing, equipment or accessories to dry at room temperature.
- Keep away from fires and radiators, drying too quickly can crack leather.
- One 300ml bottle is enough to clean 1-2 items depending on the condition of the leather being treated and the size of the item.